Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Due 3/6

Pick a piece in the 12x12 show at the Yamawaki Gallery and write a one paragraph formal analysis of the piece. Using the elements & principles of design describe why you find the piece successful. Be sure to address the following: composition, focal point, movement of the piece.

9 comments:

  1. The piece that I am choosing to write about is called "Curious", taken by Jinny Sagorin. The photograph is a picture of young boys gathered on a sidewalk. I think that the photographer was trying to capture the multicultural differences between the boys. All of boys are dressed in tribal styles, except for one of the young boys, who is dressed in khaki shorts, a striped tee-shirt, sitting on a blue bike. There is nice movement in this photograph because most of the boys are gathered towards the right of the picture, while the boy on the bike is on the left, riding his bike towards the rest of the boys. I also like the texture of the grass in the background, as well as the blue fence, which shows the elements of line and color. When I look at this picture, my eyes immediately go to the little boy standing in the middle of the picture, talking to the other boys on the left. In this photograph, he is portrayed as a group leader, so my eyes are drawn to him. Overall, I think the composition of the photograph is very well-done. positive and negative space is contrasted very nicely. I think it shows the "gap" between different cultures and different believes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen Chihlund’s watercolor piece especially caught my eye, due to the color and simplicity that the work of art had. His painting is entitled “The Pottery Workshop of Antonin Pitot, Goult". The picture is set in Goult, France. The image is of the side of a European building, red flowers adorning the windows and one shutter open. The wheat-colored building is framed by green grass, bushes and a light blue sky. The painting is composed very well, taking a part of the building that you wouldn't typically focus on and making it the subject of the picture. My eye is first drawn to the bright red of the flowers, then to the contrasting shapes of the bushes against the building. My eye also smoothly moves down the diagonal line of the roof. The focal point of this painting could either be the red flowers of the corner of the roof. One of my favorite parts of this piece I didn't notice right away. One of the window shutters is open, and the shadowing beneath it makes it seem like it is truly protruding from the painting. This gives the two dimensional image, three dimensional qualities. I also appreciate the layers of color in the grass and bushes. Finally, I was very drawn to the straight lines of the wood siding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piece that I chose to focus on is called A Loving Hand painted by Stephen Chinlund. This watercolored piece caught my attention immediately based on the message it was portraying. The focal point of the painting is the interlocking of a father hand and a child's fingers. The entire painting is in different values of skin color against a white background. The white would be the negative space in this piece. The detail in the hands is what really draws the viewers in because you can tell they put a lot of work into it. Every vain is highlighted and beautiful composed as well as the babies little finger nails. Stephen did a really good job at portraying movement throughout the image because it looks as though the father or manly figure is reaching down the page to grab the child's in a nurturing way. He like that he used simplicity to really capture a endearing moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The piece I chose to evaluate was called Butterfly. The artist Stephen Fischer did a nice job showing movement throughout the piece using both line and color. The color used throughout the inside of the wings was red orange and yellow. The part of the wing closest to the body was yellow and it moved into orange then red. The movement of color was not the only movement in the piece. The line used as detail in the wings showed movement in towards the body as well as the color did. Both the line and the color moved in towards the focal point which was the body of the butterfly. There was also a nice addition of contrast in the piece in the outer wings. The tips of the wings were painted black with white dots making negative space in the piece. Over all, all aspects of the piece worked nicely together and made for a beautiful piece of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The piece I chose to evaluate was called Butterfly. The artist Stephen Fischer did a nice job showing movement throughout the piece using both line and color. The color used throughout the inside of the wings was red orange and yellow. The part of the wing closest to the body was yellow and it moved into orange then red. The movement of color was not the only movement in the piece. The line used as detail in the wings showed movement in towards the body as well as the color did. Both the line and the color moved in towards the focal point which was the body of the butterfly. There was also a nice addition of contrast in the piece in the outer wings. The tips of the wings were painted black with white dots making negative space in the piece. Over all, all aspects of the piece worked nicely together and made for a beautiful piece of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose Maritza Farrell's Watercolor piece of flowers. I found it successful because it had a very strong sense of movement expressed in the diagonal. The changes in value in the negative space also help to make the positive space, the flowers, pop out from the piece and command more of the viewers attention. She does a good job with color in the piece using beautiful shades of green and blue with a nice contrasting bloom color of light pink. The repetition on the blooms also created a sense of rhythm that I enjoyed and was clearly well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The piece that I chose to review is Ocean Depth by Ginny Zanger. The reason that I chose this piece is because I love the ocean and water. The colors used in this piece really show the depth of the ocean and the movement of the waves. Most of the colors used are different blues, grays and yellows. The movement of the strokes really make the ocean come alive. The yellow and the grays in the corners also really make it look like coral. One of my favorite things about this piece is that there is no define objects in the picture, and it is free for you to interpret what you see. That's what I think is the most important part about this piece. The white in the back round also really adds to the depth of the ocean and makes it look like it goes on forever. Over all my favorite things about this piece is the colors which make me feel calm and relaxed and how the the texture of the painting makes it look like there are waves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I chose the composition "Rising Storm" by Elizabeth Buckley because it is my favorite piece. I feel that there is a lot of balance between the contrasting colors of dark brown and a light beige. There's also an amazing balance between the textures. She uses different medias such as digital imaging, paint, and hornet's nest paper. The effect creates movement of the piece, because the eye can easily float along the smooth frame painted around the more roughly textured focal point; the storm. The media in itself is a rising storm, and it visually comes across very strong. The rough texture of what seems to be rocks and waves, gives the composition some form and makes the viewer feel present in the storm. Overall, I think this piece has unity in the elements and principles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I chose the painting called "Rise to the Occasion" by Molly Gundlach. The reason I chose this photo was because it includes some of my favorite principles and elements. It includes movement, balance, color, shapes, texture and gradation. I think the artiest used the canvas space very creatively. The only thing I would change in this painting is where the bottom circles are placed. I don't mind them there, but I think that if the artist kept the circles in the upper left hand corner it would of conveyed more of a better transition onto the gradation and balance on the bottom right hand corner. This painting cause my eye especially because of the feel that it conveys to me. I see really calming and relaxing blues, with gentle circular motion. The circles show gradation and are evenly shaped all around which shows neatness. Overall, this is a beautiful painting and the artist did a really amazing job.

    ReplyDelete