Sunday, January 20, 2013

Welcome to Design & Color!

This is a hands-on course. Creativity is highly encouraged!

For your first blog entry:
  1. Leave a comment HERE in the comments section. It should be at least one paragraph, answering the following questions. Feel free to build off what other students say. Think of this as a discussion.
___________________________________________
  • How do you feel that design fits into your life?
  • Share a specific example of where you are most aware of design elements and principles.
___________________________________________
HOMEWORK FOR NEXT WEEK:
  1. Accept blog invite and Answer questions in comments.
  2. IN sketchbook: 14 thumbnails of examples of Elements & Principles from your environment.
  3. Buy supply kit at bookstore.
  4. For next week bring: sketchbook, black sharpie, portfolio, scissors, glue, pencils, erasers, black paper
*If you have questions for me, email me directly at dbaldizar@lasell.edu. Do not ask questions that you need me to answer in the comments.

9 comments:

  1. Design is everywhere in life, its in our outfit choices, its in our room layout, its in every aspect of life. I know personally everyday I wake up and try to plan out my outfits, i have to think of color first. Color which is an element of design can make or break an outfit. You must take it into consideration and make sure each piece of the outfit fits into a specific color pallet so they don't clash. Not only is color a part of design in planning an outfit but texture is as well. The texture of the clothing pieces must blend so you don't look ridiculous. Putting together an outfit is only one example of how design enters your life on a regular basis. Scale which is a principal of design comes into everyday life as well. When you take notes, you make sure you write everything out using the space in-between the lines. You write in proportion to the lines rather than writing over them and running out of space. Without thinking each and every one of the elements and principals of design enter our life on an everyday basis, if we open our eyes to a creative world we can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of design as something you put thought into in its visual aspect to gain or lose attention. Because we're always interacting with others, verbally or not, we are always gaining or losing attention. Therefore we're always designing. From how we approach people, our body posture, the pictures we post on Instagram, the tweets we send on twitter, our layouts on Tumblr, our signatures, or even writing our names on the left or right side of assignments. Design is everywhere.
    It's not the ideal place a visual person would see design, but poetry for me comes with lots of design. Both written and spoken poetry require a lot of thought as to the construction of words that must be used to create an image that will last in the reader/listener's mind. Poetry has different jargon than what we've learned in class, but when writing I have to pay attention to the sounds, the flow, and the message of the words. Even when it's written, I pay attention to where exactly I'm putting the words. I've made poems where I've written it in the shape of what I was writing about. However, generally to me poetry creates images. That to me is a form of design.
    Another way I've been able to design is with my make up. I love experimenting with different colors to create different looks. You could completely transform your eyes based on how you do your make up. It's cheesy, but I really do think of my eyelids as canvases. It's fun making different looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Design is a word you hear a lot being a fashion major. There are so many aspects and things that go into ones design. Some designs are made on purpose and are there for a meaning or message but other designs are mainly to be functional and practical. Designs can change because of different elements and principles. In my everyday life, I take notice of design mostly in my clothing and others clothing around me. Whether its the color, shape, or texture of a shirt or accessory every element makes it unique. Pattern, which is a principle of design plays a big part in choosing an outfit as well. Different patterns and colors work better than others. Shape also plays a part in my day to day life. Every morning I wake up and decide whether to curl or straighten my hair. Depending on what I'm wearing I choose which makes more sense. Many people don't take notice that all these elements and principles play such a big part in every aspect of their day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the element of design is apart of your everyday life. Not only do we use design to create certain projects but we design many aspects of our life. For me personally, I use design when picking out my outfits. The different designs on my clothes and the color and texture of them all have to do with the element of design. Not only do I use design when it comes to clothing but also designing my room. I recently redesigned my room at home and used different aspects of design to set it up. I think that everything in life has design but some people don't realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Design surrounds our everyday life. From choosing which outfit to wear, to decorating our future homes or apartments, to doing school projects... It all comes back to design. I do alot of work for Polished magazine, and everything that we do involves design. We have to choose where to put each article in the magazine, decide how to layout each article on each page, format every picture and all of the text throughout the magazine, as well as designing the most important part...the cover. All of these tasks are examples of design. Design is the main element that makes the magazine look good in the end.
    For me personally, I notice design the most in fashion. Being a fashion major at Lasell, has made me want to try new styles and wear bolder, high-fashion garments that I would have never even looked at before. Understanding design made me appreciate the fashion industry much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The official definition of design-A plan or drawing produced to show the look and function or workings of a building, garment, or other object before it is built or made. To me design is all about creativity and what the creator and its target audience. There is no such thing as a bad design all designs differ with taste and style which is one of the things i love most about fashion. every one has a different style and taste what is ugly to one may be the greatest creation ever. I mainly am aware of principles and elements when looking at clothing this is when i notice all the patterns,texture, and more about the item. Many people don't condsider fashion an art when it is probably an art that not every takes the time out to appreciate like other forms of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Design is just about everything that surrounds us. No matter what your path is in life, what interests you; design is always going to be apart of that. Colors, Shapes, Form, Lines, Motion, Balance; all of those compose design as a whole. As an Accounting and Finance Major, many people may not think that Design can reflect in what I do; but it does. It may not be as evident as art or fashion, maybe a more metaphorical way, but it does incorporate Design. For example; I balance out assets to liabilities and stockholders' equity. It may not be actual colors or objects that you can see right in front of you; but I still balance it. If you wanted an example where design fits in visually; Accountants use grids to record data.
    Personally, I am most aware of Design (elements and principles) when I am by myself and reflect upon what is in front of me. I love being out on a boat for example. Some of the principles/ elements I can find in that situation would be the rhythm of the pattern in the waves; Infinite space in front of me, possibly more shapes of sailboats, gradation of sky line or more water. Serene places where I can be by myself is where I can really appreciate all the design in what is in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me design is the most raw form of creativity. It can be done in so many ways that every piece of art is different and draws people attention in different ways. I personally think design should reflect who you are, what you've been through or how you feel. I'm personally attracted to clean lines, horizontal and diagonal and I LOVE repetition. Something about a lot of small things making something bigger I find really powerful. Movement, rhythm, line and shape are probably the elements and principles I use most. Design is something I think everyone can do, but I also think it's hard to be successful unless you are putting all of yourself into it.
    In my personal life I see design everywhere. I see it in architecture, in the windows and the frames of buildings. I see it when I go boating on the ocean, with the horizon lines, rocks, lighthouses, and sunsets. I see it in the patterns of clothes, in textures, in faces. I see it everywhere. I'm inspired by the design that is neat and clean and effectively conveys it's message, that is what I try to do in my designs and I think they can end up quite successful.

    ReplyDelete